The Lounge

Navigation

Hogmanay plans?

smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Hogmanay plans?

Post by smartiecat on 30/12/2015, 16:06

What are you all up to for Hogmanay/NYE? At the moment I don't fancy doing anything other than lying on the couch in my pjs but I should probably make an effort gerrin I think I'll go to my brothers, my SIL mentioned coming for dinner but I'm not sure if that's a definite plan. Will probably play games with nephew and niece, have sone food and a few drinks and be in bed shortly after 12! 

Anyone doing anything exciting?
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Re: Hogmanay plans?

Post by Poggy on 30/12/2015, 16:24

Yep - the Annual Ratcliffe NYE party!!

This year there will be 19 of us!

We are just prepping a massive chilli with a choice of rice or crusty bread...and there will be the normal nibbles and chocolates around.
    We provide wine, beer and soft drinks - plus access to the spirits, but no one ever really partakes - and then guests bring what they fancy to drink too.

All guests have to choose 6 songs to fit given categories...
    1. Best song of 2015
    2. Song title or song that relates to age or youth.
    3. Song containing the name of a country or place
    4. Song title containing food or drink
    5. Song title about space/planets or the universe
    6. And last of all if you were to send a song to room 101 - What would it be?( so basically a song you hate that you feel should never be played again.)

This produces a playlist that everyone is involved in and makes for some great conversation of who chose what!

We normally play a couple of simple games and sometimes have a quiz, but mostly it is just chatting and drinking.

Ironic lettuce
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Ironic lettuce on 30/12/2015, 18:23

That sounds amazing Poggy!!! gerrin My sister and I have tickets for the fireworks at the London Eye. Not done that yet, so I'm looking forward to it smile
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 30/12/2015, 19:33

sounds amazing poggy!

I was supposed to be going to a party at a friend's house. They have had a large group of us and their kids round the past few years for a good night, but this year almost everyone has dropped out of going due to not being able to get babysitters, apart from his actual family and a couple of friends.

Alternatively the soldier has asked me if I'd like to go through to his house to spend the night with him as he was supposed to be going to his parents but with the bad weather the ferries are looking decidedly unlikely to be sailing so he's planning on staying here and would be on his own for the bells.

Would welcome your thoughts on this girls and guys, should I drive through to my friends do, or go and keep soldier company instead? big eyes

Last edited by Juggler on 30/12/2015, 21:05; edited 1 time in total
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 30/12/2015, 20:08

We are going to Mr Neener's parents house for eatables, etc. very much doubt we will be there late though and the likelihood of me seeing midnight this year is vair slim! Sleep
    Dollyrocker
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Dollyrocker on 30/12/2015, 20:23

I don't do New Years, I shall find something nice for dinner and drink beer but that's the peak of my effort (and not that different to normal)
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Post by Poggy on 30/12/2015, 22:31

Lettuce - we always see the NY in with the Bongs and watch the fireworks on the TV - they always look amazing, but being such a short-arse, I would get all kinds of squashed in the crowds if I were to go to see the live thing!

Have a great time though!!

Difficult one, Juggs.
    Would your friends be upset if they thought you had blown them out for a man??
    Or maybe they would be happy for you?
    Where would you feel happier/more comfortable/have a better time?
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 30/12/2015, 22:45

Thanks poggy. I don't really know. Ideally I'd take soldier along to my pal's party but I know he wouldn't want to go to a party where he doesn't know anyone and we've not really been together long enough for official introductions like that anyway in my book. I don't like the thought of him at home on his own, but will probably see him at the weekend anyway after new year is over, and I don't see my pals more than a few times a year and have been invited to this for ages so feel I'd be really rude turning them down last minute without a good reason. Gah! Whatever happens it will be a dry new year as soldier doesn't drink and if I go to my pals house it's 30 miles away so I'll need to drive, and this sounds like a Ightfield when wine would be my friend.
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Post by Poggy on 30/12/2015, 23:14

I can see how that would definitely solve both your problems and keep everyone happy.

Is it actually worth mentioning the party to soldier? He might surprise you by saying that he would like to go.

Is there a chance that the party could actually be cancelled if a lot of people have dropped out and then your decision would be made for you?

Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 30/12/2015, 23:31

Sorry I should have made myself clearer poggy. I've already asked soldier and his response was as above that he really wouldn't want to go to a party of strangers so that's definitely out. There will still be around 30 people at the party even if i cancelled as they have a big family and other friends who I don't know that will be there as the wife of the couple face booked me earlier about it. Gah! Once again. Friends still think I'm single by the way. Only you lot know anything of the soldier.
    adora
    The Explorer
    The Explorer

Post by adora on 31/12/2015, 09:39

Which would you prefer Juggs? What would be a nicer night for you?

We're in our gorgeous cottage (thanks Poggs for arranging!) in Wales. We'll have a nice walk later and have brought lots of fizz and food. Last night we played cards and board games so will probably be more of the same. It's lovely.
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 31/12/2015, 11:12

Another couple of friends have pulled out of tonight but I think I'm going to go to the party anyway. After all they've been my friends for 20 years, and hopefully for another 20 years. Friends always should come before a man.
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Post by Poggy on 31/12/2015, 15:54

Glad you have made your decision, Juggs.

Have fun and Happy New Year to you. gerrin
    Stru
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Stru on 31/12/2015, 17:13

Poggy your party sounds awesome.

I'm going to my mum and dads for curry and champagne Kwilly

M is flying back from Vegas through the night so won't see him until tomorrow. Some friends have asked me out with them - they've got tickets for a local pub near kings cross. I can't be arsed, plus the tickets in pub thing annoys me. I appreciate they have to restrict numbers but couldn't they just do that on the door?

Anyway my lovely aunt Janet and uncle Rob are staying at my parents so we will have fun. I'm looking forward to starting the new year without a horrendous hangover!

Have wonderful evenings all.
    smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by smartiecat on 31/12/2015, 17:15

I've just spent 15 lovely minutes playing on the beach at dusk with my niece and feeling good smile heading up to my brothers for a lovely ham dinner prepared by SIL shortly so will have a few drinks and some chat there. Feels like a good end to the year smile xx
    Dollyrocker
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Dollyrocker on 31/12/2015, 17:36

PoggyPartyPopper wrote:Lettuce - we always see the NY in with the Bongs

eek Smoking lol
    adora
    The Explorer
    The Explorer

Post by adora on 31/12/2015, 18:42

We didn't do our planned lake/hill walk as it was pissing it down. Yesterday was dryer and we did a lovely forest walk. Today we just had a drive about admiring the scenery, and then stopped in Caernarfon for a very wet and windy walk with Fred, some welsh cakes and hot chocolate which we had in the car before our drive back. I've been reading and snoozing this afternoon, and have just got a bit 'ready' (ie a better top and some lipstick' and opened the prosecco. We've got various nibbles plus roast duck which GC is going to prepare.

Have a good one everyone!
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 1/1/2016, 15:27

In the end I got the best of both worlds, went through to soldiers for ny eve dinner and he came to my pals house for the party after. Just got home and had a shower, now off to mums for steak pie and he's gone for the ferry to see his parents tonight. Hope you all had a good time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/12/2017, 13:40