Christmas Day

Stru
    Lounger
    Lounger

Christmas Day

Post by Stru on 22/12/2015, 11:15

What’s your routine?

My family is something like;

Wake up to smell of turkey – my mum puts it in the oven at like 5am or something mental
    Late breakfast. Usually one person with a hangover. We have scrambles, smoked salmon and bucks fizz
    Presents… No order to this. Bit of a free for all but with lots of hugs and kisses of thanks

Lull. Possibly a Christmas film, definitely a mess around with presents. Call family members. Obligatory (but lovely!) chat with Gran and Nana. Definitely a glass of fizz or two by this point. We usually watch the Queen’s speech too.

Christmas dinner – usually around 5ish. We don’t do starters, we just do the main properly. Turkey, ham, trimmings etc.
    Break with a game or two.

Pud – usually my dad enjoys Christmas pudding my nan makes. My sister has made Nigella’s Christmas cake for the last few years running. Mum does a trifle.

Absolutely collapse to point of bursting. Play more games if people can be persuaded away from Christmas telly. Sleep.
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Re: Christmas Day

Post by Juggler on 22/12/2015, 11:33

sounds like a busy but fun day sparkle.

I dont have a routine and not really looking forward to christmas day at all this year.

Plan so far is:

wake up, get dressed and make the table/do last minute cleaning/food prep/put crisps in bowls etc
    late morning mum and dad and brother should be here, mum will faff about with the cooker and complain that it's too hot/there is too much glitter/she doesn't like the fairylights etc. Dad will simultaneously complain about the chickens/walls that need repainting/diy that needs doing and faff about with the fire and the TV. Brother will just get in the way while looking utterly bored and asking when he can go home again.

Then we will eat, open our presents and then they will head home. I will get peace and quiet to tidy up and go to bed and be happy that Christmas is only once a year.

Boxing day a friend expects me to go round to hers for drinks and nibbles as her husband is working but I cant really afford the massive taxi surcharges either way so might just pop down in the car for a short while.
    Stru
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Stru on 22/12/2015, 11:55

Oh dear Jugs! Do you think a game or two might cheer them up?

I hope it exceeds your expectations this year. BUt do appreciate that Christmas time can be really stressful with family sometimes!
    GreyHare
    wabbit
    wabbit

Post by GreyHare on 22/12/2015, 13:13

i don't really have a routine, but it will be something like wake up, breakfast as normal, open present from husband and secret santa, I'll send husband out with dogs and I'll shower dress and then we will head over to my parents, where my brother, sister in law and their two girls will be, we will then share the presents out in to piles and watch the girls open theirs and then it's a free for all as we open ours, then have a few nibbles before having dinner as mum won't eat big dinner at lunch time she does dinner for 3 - 4 pm and then we all clear and tidy up, and then we shall play a few games, the favourites at the moment are uno and happy families, and then my mum will parcel up some leftovers and we will come home and put feet up and share the left over turkey with the cats. Boxing day we shall go to the inlaws but his mum has all but cancelled christmas this year after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and to her christmas is all the eating, there is usually at least 6 puddings on the menu dunno so it will be a quiet sedate day there I think.
    smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by smartiecat on 22/12/2015, 15:13

I love hearing about other people's Christmases Banana Tree  Love the sound of yours Stru!

Ours is a bit disjointed.  I normally get a bit twitchy about that but am determined this year to accept it as it is and go with the flow.  I'll be staying at my parent's house on their farm, and SIL will be making the lunch at her and my brother's house which is about 50 metres away, also on the farm.

My Dad will be up and working from about 7am, feeding the animals, so won't join in that much (he wouldn't anyway).  I'll probably get up about 9am and potter around having breakfast (nothing special, just coffee and toast) and wait for my Mum to get up.  We'll probably exchange presents (the two of us) as we have breakfast sat in our PJs and then during that we are likely to be burst in on by two excited children (nephew - 11 and niece - 6) accompanied by SIL.  We'll give them their presents, hopefully my brother can join us to see his kids opening mine and my parent's gifts. He's back and forth out working too though. 

SIL will be rushing off to do the dinner and I'll go up at some point to help with kids and/or food.  Lunch will be around 1pm and there will be brother, SIL, mum, dad, nephew, niece, SIL's mum and dad, me and an elderly neighbour.  SIL's grandad and his partner normally come but I don't think they're well enough this year.  It's a 3 course meal, very traditional mostly due to my dad, with turkey and all the trimmings.  

Before lunch we all watch the kids open the presents from their other grandparents. It's normally a bit of a rush for my dad and brother to get the work done, grab a bath and get ready in time.

Our families are quite different so it took a few years to settle in but we all kind of tolerate each other now gerrin  The kids help as everyone adores them so they are very much a focus.  My dad is bad for coming in, eating and then buggering off to lie on the couch at home.  He's not the most social sometimes roll eyes  

Hopefully there will be some games and once a bit of time has passed there will probably be cheese and biscuits on the go.  Usually drinks on the go throughout the day but not huge amounts (other than me Boozy and I can't this year).
    Fluff
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Fluff on 22/12/2015, 15:21

Me and mum always had a routine as we spent every Christmas with my gran and grandpa, and latterly just my grandpa. When she remarried and we had our first Christmas as a new family about five years ago, we looked at each other in horror as everyone just dived in and opened presents all at once! That's really alien to us - we always opened presents one person at a time, so everyone could see what someone got. We would take it in turns to go to the tree and pick a random present, and give it to whoever it was for. It took hours if there were lots of us sometimes, but we loved it.

Anyway this year it's just me and B (and Daisydog) soooo:

Wake up and have bucks fizz and a fry up.
    Open gifts (one at a time, of course!!) This will take some time as the dog has loads and each one will have to be examined and put in her mouth before we can move onto the next one.
    Time to play with new gifts
    Take Daisy for a walk
    Turkey goes in the oven and more messing about with presents and drinking fizz. Turkey with all the trimmings.
    Board games and Downton Abbey in the evening, as well as lots of chocolate from our stockings.

Can't wait!
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Post by Poggy on 22/12/2015, 15:25

Our girls have never been early risers on Christmas Day - even when they were little, we had to actually go and 'HO HO HO' outside their rooms to wake them up!
    I guess they will probably come into us at about 9ish to open their stocking presents on our bed.

We then come down to the bigger presents in piles downstairs. We generally watch the girls open their presents (mostly as we don't have many to open!) and then have Buck's Fizz and breakfast. Breakfast is sometimes scrambled egg and salmon or sometimes normal cereal or sometimes just chocolate!
    Mark will put the turkey in at that point too.

We will then get dressed and Mark and I will prepare the rest of the dinner together drinking port! The soup will be made the day before and possibly some of the veg. Whenever the turkey is ready, we will eat.

Games will be played, films will be watched, books will be read.

Quite often we will just graze for the rest of the day rather than have another meal.
    We will drink lots and just spend the evening in a relaxing haze!

That's about it really.

Carrying Tree Banana Tree Christmas Shopping Snowman lol Christmas Dinner Champagne Christmas Martini
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 22/12/2015, 19:31

Eeeeeee, this thread is making me feel so Christmassy! heart pop

Our routine varies depending on whether we are hosting or going elsewhere for lunch.

This year we are going to my mum & dads so will be relatively relaxed!

When we wake up we will go down and get our presents, make a cup of tea and then take everything back up to bed to open presents.

Next breakfast - not sure what this year but it often involves smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, so probably something along those lines.

Christmas dinner will be 2pm-ish at my parents, which is 30 minutes away, so we will get ready straight after breakfast I expect and head over for 1ish at the latest.

We normally get there before my in-laws so will help out with foodie bits as required. I normally light the fire if it's not already lit. Generally we eat first, then do presents.

Dinner will be amazing as my mum is a great cook. FIL makes an amazing cauliflower cheese which he always brings if they aren't hosting. We will have Chicken, with aaaaall the trimmings (maybe even Yorkshire puddings this year as my mum has started making and freezing them). We don't do starters, but there are always pre-dinner nibbles/canapes.

Not sure what pudding we are having this year!

Presents after dinner, then I normally go with my mum and/or dad to walk the dog, followed by a big clear up. We might play some games if we have time, but my MIL doesn't really like games so will depend what mood she is in.

Haven't decided yet if we will head home before or after the Downton Christmas special...

Looking forward to it already!
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 22/12/2015, 21:41

Apologies for my earlier gripe. I'm not looking forward to Christmas day, but I'm sure it will be fine. Hope the rest of you have a great day
    smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by smartiecat on 22/12/2015, 21:53

No apology needed Juggs smile lots of folk aren't looking forward to the day itself. I'm trying hard (but failing!) to manage my expectations as I am usually disappointed. Plus lots of us (I.e. me gerrin ) have done a lot more griping on here than you!
    adora
    The Explorer
    The Explorer

Post by adora on 23/12/2015, 00:29

Juggs I hope you find some moments to enjoy in the day, or otherwise just drink through it!

Obviously our routines are all to pot since losing mum, but the two years since have kind of taken on a certain shape (and similar to when mum was here as we were usually at my sisters or she was with us).

I'm at my sister's with her, my bro in law and two nieces. The two teenage girls won't rise early, and we all have a lie in. I'll probably be up first, make myself a cuppa and potter about with the dogs. Last year my grown up nephews and their partners face timed me so I could see the kids opening their presents from me which was lovely so hopefully we'll do that again. Once everyone is up we do breakfast, usually toasted croissants with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, or sometimes eggs benedict, with champers. Then we do presents, one at a time generally.

Then it's getting ready, my sister has an amazing bath so I'll have a long soak. We dress up fancy, well me and my sis and BIL do, niece G never changed out of the onesie I'd given her last year! Some of us will take the dogs out for a walk.

The bulk of the day is spent sat around the kitchen island whilst my sister cooks. She likes to do it all her way, except one niece always does the cranberry sauce and one niece does the bread sauce. I might be given some peeling or something to do, if we haven't done that the day before. BIL is dj and also makes cocktails and we just have a chat and a laugh, like any time I'm at my sister's really! I might play a board game with the girls or we might watch bits of telly in between.

We don't eat till later on generally, might have a few nibbles to keep us going but not too much, and sit down around 6ish which is later than I'd like but my sister always prefers it that way. The food is always amazing, Turkey and all the trimmings, with more wine of course! Then a break before pudding which is a christmas pudding plus another option - not sure what that will be this year.

The girls' boyfriends usually come round after, and at some point in the day there will be phone calls with the rest of the family. After dinner we're generally done in, a bit of telly and we're all in bed by 10 usually!
    Stru
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Stru on 24/12/2015, 15:14

Feeling very festive reading these!

I should have said in my first post - that's my usual Christmas Day routine at my mum and dads. This year I'm at the in laws in Yorkshire, so I'm not sure what the routine will be!

We're on our way up now. Had a bit of a cry in the car when we left, which probably is a lot to do with hormones - but we popped into my mum and dads to say tarra and wish them a merry Christmas - and I could see my mum was a bit emotional. Tis the first time one of her chicks is not going to be there on Christmas Day so it's natural I think but ahhhhh it really got me!

Current date/time is 28/6/2017, 13:24