The Lounge

Navigation

People who don't say 'please' in emails...

Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

People who don't say 'please' in emails...

Post by Nina on 1/12/2015, 17:05

...if they are asking you to do something. Drives me mad!

I always want to email back 'What's the magic word?' Suspect

Does anyone else work with people like this?

It drives me crackers as I think it's just rude. Especially when the request is a last minute or urgent thing and they they want you to drop everything and do it immediately.

I mean people who don't say please in general are bad enough, but when I can see it written down in black and white it feels even more like a command.

Or is it normal for more senior members off staff to not need to say please when they ask one of the minions to do a task?
    smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Re: People who don't say 'please' in emails...

Post by smartiecat on 1/12/2015, 19:07

It's just rude! I hate people not saying please and thank you. It's really not hard and does make a difference. I think it's especially important for senior people as they're meant to set and role model the standard imho
    Stru
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Stru on 1/12/2015, 19:52

So rude! It doesn't even take a second to include it, and it makes a huge difference to how you come across. I cast a quick eye over my emails before I hit send not to check spelling but to make sure I am coming across politely. Would be mortified to come across as rude!
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Post by Poggy on 1/12/2015, 20:05

Stru wrote:So rude! It doesn't even take a second to include it, and it makes a huge difference to how you come across. I cast a quick eye over my emails before I hit send not to check spelling but to make sure I am coming across politely. Would be mortified to come across as rude!

WSS
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 2/12/2015, 11:25

smartiecat wrote:I think it's especially important for senior people as they're meant to set and role model the standard imho

I hadn't really thought of it like that, but you're right! shake head

I'm a bit obsessive with always saying 'please' but I really don't like the thought of coming across as rude, or like I am issuing orders.
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 2/12/2015, 11:33

how strange, I send a zillion emails every day as part of my job. I have to say I don't think I've ever said please, or received one with please in it. I actually think that would be quite odd to see in corporate emails. Thanks, regards, or even a kind thanks, but never a please.

smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by smartiecat on 2/12/2015, 11:37

That's interesting Juggs, maybe it's a culture thing? I've mostly been public sector rather than a particularly corporate environment, and things are pretty different I guess - less strict in terms of business dress etc.

I think it's also because I work in HR so I feel I have to be super polite, especially as most people hate me before they've even met/spoken/corresponded with me and I'm trying to prove I'm alright really!
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 2/12/2015, 12:34

I don't know - it's just manners isn't it, regardless of what sector you work in (thinking it's a good job I don't work for Juggs' industry lol)?

I don't think saying "thank you" is quite the same as saying please when you ask someone to do something, but maybe when people say thanks at the end of a request the "please" is meant to be implicit?

To me:

Can you complete this testing and send the paperwork through to me?

and

Can you complete this testing and send the paperwork through to me please?

Are vastly different and I know which I prefer and respond best to!
    Juggler
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Juggler on 2/12/2015, 13:08

I don't know if it's a manners thing TBH. I've gone through all yesterdays emails to me, and there was one 'please find attached' which was a group generic email and a group 'please see below' A lot of can you?, I'm looking for, I need, Can I? and a whole load of Hi, or Hi All, etc but not really any 'pleases' I've looked at our generic reply list and of the 40+ generic responses only a tiny handful contain the word please anywhere in the text. Maybe it's a corporate thing or maybe it's a US cultural thing, but unless I was specifically asking a personal favour of someone (not a standard work request) I doubt I'd put please in an email myself, unless it was as the 'please find attached' format I mentioned already.
    Jellybabes
    Jellylicious
    Jellylicious

Post by Jellybabes on 2/12/2015, 14:27

I get pleases, thank yous, darlings and kisses on my work emails, I'd be surprised is I didn't, but then I work in a drama school and people tend to be a bit expressive! lol lol
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 2/12/2015, 15:02

In fairness to my colleagues, plenty of them say please and thank you (senior or otherwise) - but that just makes the ones that don't stand out all the more really!

As far as I'm concerned it is manners I'm afraid!
    Dollyrocker
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Dollyrocker on 2/12/2015, 15:31

I'm totallyguilty of being 'abrupt' in emails which, to some people, comes accross as rude though I do say please and thank you (unless someone has pissed me off)

I don't see the point of starting every message with platitudes, I see it more as a conversation than an exchange of correspondence IYSWIM

I think there are 2 kinds of people in email, those that like the pleasantries and those that just want to send/receive a message, I have a client who sometimes sends me emails all in capitals, he's not hacked off, he just can;t work his phone or can;t be bothered to take the caps lock off and I'm fine with that, however, the girl that dealt with him before me would get all kinds of upset about it roll eyes

Fluff
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Fluff on 2/12/2015, 15:49

I'd say same as Juggs.  I don't often write please in emails,  but I do often say thank you or express my gratitude for the person doing what I'd asked (well,  when I wasn't my own boss!) I don't think I'd ever really notice if someone said please,  just the overall tone of the email. It's never really bothered me,  I think it's just a corporate thing? I don't really expect someone to say please when they're asking me to do something related to my job,  it wouldn't really register with me.

In your example, Nina, I wouldn't write please at the end, but I would write some variant of thanks. So "could you blah blah blah, thanks".
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 2/12/2015, 16:52

Well you're all a bunch of big Rudy Rudersons as far as I'm concerned! shake head flounce gerrin wink
    Fluff
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Fluff on 2/12/2015, 17:03

Hat Hat Hat Hat
    Dollyrocker
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Dollyrocker on 2/12/2015, 17:26

nod

Current date/time is 28/6/2017, 13:26