The Lounge

Navigation

Very superstitious

Palma
    Trubshaw
    Trubshaw

Very superstitious

Post by Palma on 15/10/2015, 23:20

I don't regard myself as superstitious, but yanno, just to be on the safe side...

I caught myself today crushing an eggshell into pieces before binning it, because obviously witches make boats out of uncrushed ones and will sail along in them, bringing you bad luck. Clearly they won't, but just in case, it won't hurt will it?

I used to have a silver elephant, and the trunk had to face out of the door, so the bad luck would go out. I never put new shoes on a table, and I always touch my collar if I see an ambulance. I always salute a magpie and say good morning Mr Magpie.

But of course it's a load of rubbish. Isn't it? Loopy
    La Bomba
    Lounger
    Lounger

Re: Very superstitious

Post by La Bomba on 16/10/2015, 00:18

I'm with you on the saluting one magpie. They creep me out.

I'd not heard of the eggshells one before. I shall be doing that too from now on as I rather like it.

I had a friend who, if she dropped her keys would drop them again on purpose to cancel the bad luck.

smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by smartiecat on 16/10/2015, 07:59

I'm really not superstitious at all I don't think. I'll say fingers crossed or touch wood in a conversation but I don't really do or believe in either of those things. I can't think of any that I do do. That said someone else will probably come along and post some shortly and I'll probably realist that I do!
    Dollyrocker
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by Dollyrocker on 16/10/2015, 09:37

i salute magpies and I crush the eggshell though in our house it's to stop the witches making cauldrons out of them lol

I don't walk under ladders and if I spill salt I throw it over my shoulder
    Poggy
    Mrs Pete
    Mrs Pete

Post by Poggy on 16/10/2015, 10:19

I have never heard of the key thing or the egg shell thing!!

I always do the Magpie thing and always throw salt over my left shoulder.
    For some reason I have this thing that if I first see a new moon through glass, then I have to turn around 3 times to cancel the bad luck...but I don't know where I got that from!!
    There is one about dropping a glove - you have to get some one else to pick it up for you otherwise it is bad luck, but I don't bother about that one as there is not always someone around to pick it up for you.

I don't mind ladders and quite often don't even notice them until I have walked under them.

I can't think of any others Think
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 16/10/2015, 11:54

Nope, I'm not superstitious in the slightest I don't think. I say hello to Magpies, but then I say hello to any wildlife I see. gerrin

I broke a mirror once and everyone was horrified. I've never noticed any ill effects from it though.
    smartiecat
    Lounger
    Lounger

Post by smartiecat on 16/10/2015, 12:27

Nina wrote:Nope, I'm not superstitious in the slightest I don't think. I say hello to Magpies, but then I say hello to any wildlife I see. gerrin

Snap, I chat randomly to any animals I come across gerrin
    Nina
    Post Whore In Da House
    Post Whore In Da House

Post by Nina on 16/10/2015, 12:48

smartiecat wrote:
    Nina wrote:Nope, I'm not superstitious in the slightest I don't think. I say hello to Magpies, but then I say hello to any wildlife I see. gerrin  

Snap, I chat randomly to any animals I come across  gerrin

gerrin

I also have a narrative in my head that crows and magpies are in rival gangs (bit like mods and rockers or motorcycle gangs), but I suspect that might not apply to anyone else.
    Jellybabes
    Jellylicious
    Jellylicious

Post by Jellybabes on 16/10/2015, 16:21

I would say that I don't believe in any of that crap, except I've realised I salute magpies, touch wood etc. so it would seem that I am superstitious after all! lol

I do also talk to random wildlife and make them reply in little voices in my head though so I might be just a little bit loopy! Loopy
    adora
    The Explorer
    The Explorer

Post by adora on 17/10/2015, 00:05

I salute magpies and say 'morning captain'. I also crush eggshells to stop the witches getting in.

That's it I think, will sometimes touch wood. I don't particularly like crossing on the stairs but it happens and I live with it.

I sometimes make up random ones in my head like 'if the light changes before I get there then X isn't going to happen' or whatever.